Let us compile a list of literary agents or publishers specifically targeted to your book project. Authors who benefit from literary agent research and/or publisher research services usually have submission materials (such as a query letter, book proposal, and/or book synopsis) prepared or at least in draft form. Once we turn the list of 20 agents and/or publishers over to you, it is your responsibility to submit your materials and continue the process of finding an agent or publisher. Although we will point out any obvious errors or issues we find in your submission materials, we do not provide opinions or assurances about the viability of book projects and there is no guarantee that anyone on the list will accept your proposed book project. Please check out Jane Friedman's consulting services & courses (here) and her list of trusted resources (here) for help with these other issues.
Please note: Once you purchase a package we try to keep the turnaround for an agent/publisher research job to about two weeks, however, this will ultimately depend on the client load and will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
Basic Literary Agent Research ($179)
- Personalized research to pinpoint the best literary agents for your work
- A list of 20 literary agents with all the necessary contact information and guidelines for submission
Basic Publisher Research Package ($179)
- Personalized research to pinpoint the publishers for your work
- A list, with all the necessary contact information and guidelines for submission, of up to 20* small to mid-size publishers that offer traditional print distribution (for unagented work)
* We primarily search for publishers that offer traditional print distribution (the scope of distribution will vary depending on the size of the press), but depending on the particulars of your work, it may not be possible to produce a robust list of such publishers. We may include publishers that have a digital-only business or offer print-on-demand in order to fill out the list (you can select for or against this option on the order form). We do not include hybrid or other publishers that charge authors/clients to read or publish their work.
Click-to-Submit Literary Agent Research / Publisher Research & Formatting of Submission Materials for 2 Agents or Publishers* ($199)
*Does not include Nonfiction book proposals or more than the first 10 pages of your manuscript. Additional charges apply for the formatting of a Nonfiction book proposal and additional manuscript pages (see below).
- everything in the Basic Agent or Publisher Research package
- formatting of submission materials (this includes query letters, author bios, synopsis, and first 10 pages of your manuscript) for 2 agents or publishers
- an additional charge of $30 to format materials for every additional (over 2) agent or publisher
- an additional charge of $50 to format a Nonfiction book proposal
- an additional charge for formatting 11+ pages of a manuscript, the cost will be determined based on total pages required
Here's an example of an agent research report. This is an abridged version. In a full version, 20 agents would be listed. You can see both parts of this report by clicking on their respective buttons below:
What we do not do:
- offer opinions about book project ideas
- write or critique submission materials
- guarantee that anyone on the list will accept your book proposal
What we can do:
- targeted research in industry databases to find you the agents or publishers that fit your specific book project
- provide a list of 20 agents and/or publishers to whom it makes sense for you to submit your work for consideration
- offer tips on projects being sought by agents and editors in real time (if applicable to your project)
- provide the requirements of submission for each agent or publisher
- red flag any major issues we see with your submission materials
- ready materials for submission
What we will need from you:
- we will need to know if you are looking for an agent or a publisher:
- If you want to publish with one of the traditional New York publishers, you will need an agent.
- If you are not looking to publish with one of the traditional New York publishers, we will research smaller publishers and their editors.
- Not sure? Then we will start with agents (agents are less likely to take on a book project that has been shopped around to publishers first).
- completed drafts of your submission materials (such as a cover/query letter, book proposal, and/or synopsis)
- a short abstract of your work, the genre/category of your work, and 10 keywords that characterize your work
Ready to Purchase?
Fill out our Agent/Publisher Research form and pay a $30 deposit on the package of your choice. Kelly will be in contact within 2 business days and we will get started on your list right away.
Need a Query Critique too?
Our colleague Jane Friedman is offering our Basic Agent Research package as an Add On to her Query & Synopsis Critique services. If you sign up on her website, you'll get our services for $150. Note this is a discounted rate not offered elsewhere.
Want to find out more before purchasing?
Schedule a free 15-minute one-on-one consultation with one of our associates (see bios here).
Literary Agent & Publisher Research Testimonials
Within a week of sending queries out to the agents recommended by Grad Student Freelancers, I got three requests from three different agents to see my manuscript. GSF's service was prompt and thorough, and obviously, their research was beautifully specific to my work. I highly recommend them!
I highly recommend GSF's services, as they were an immense help in targeting an appropriate agent and gathering the necessary information to submit the right materials. Additionally, GSF staff were courteous, highly responsive, and all-around terrific.
Fantastic and much needed service for writers just starting out. Helps you target your project to specific agents so you are not just blindly submitting it and crossing your fingers.
Very prompt, professional and responsive to questions along the way. Reasonable price for service package (agent/publisher research). Found promising agents for my novel spanning a couple of genres. Always showed good knowledge of agent query process and publisher market.
I am just beginning to query my YA fantasy, and the list of agents Grad Student Freelancers found for me will be extremely helpful. The research was detailed and specific for my novel. My hopes are high that I'll find an agent to represent me. Thanks for your help.
Praise for our work...
Christopher was exactly what I was looking for. He is a great biblical scholar of historical criticism who held my writing feet to the fire. The biggest surprise is how good he is as a straight-up editor. It's ironic that I like his red pen more than a few "professional" editors I've worked with. Perhaps all editors should be put through the mandatory rigor of grading students' papers for a few years, as well as writing their own papers for tough professors.